Monday, November 5, 2012

Election Day Turkey-Lentil Crock-Pot Chili

If you're like me, you'll be all over MSNBC Tuesday night like icing on wedding cake.  Like blue on jeans.  Like red on Merlot.  Like chocolate on chips. Oh well, whatever you're on, you might want something done and done to get you through that long night.  Just, please, God...let be over and clean and obvious.  No hanging anythings and the Ohio machines all working fine.

I already made my chili and froze it. I just run that 4 quart container under hot water in the morning til it "pops" and then gently slide the frozen chunk into my crock-pot on "low" for the whole day. (Make sure and add a little water to the crock-pot before the frozen chili.)   But since you didn't know ahead of time....  Try this spicy, filling crock-pot chili that only asks you to....


1.  Saute two onions, four cloves of garlic, 1 red bell pepper, 1 green bell pepper, and 3 stalks of celery ( all chopped) in 2 tablespoons olive oil.  (I do all the chopping in the food processor.)

2.  Brown 2 pounds turkey Italian sausage (1 pound each hot and sweet or to taste.) in another skillet.

To speed things up, I do it at the same time.




 Pour the vegetables and meat into a 6 quart crock-pot and add:

2 28-ounce cans chopped tomatoes
3 tablespoons chili powder
1 tablespoon each:  dried basil and oregano
1/2 teaspoon each ground cumin and fresh ground black pepper
1 teaspoon kosher salt
2 tablespoons each:  Dijon-style mustard and lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper, optional (if you didn't use hot Italian sausage)
1/2 cup red wine (or chicken broth)
2 cups water
1/2 cup green or brown lentils (well rinsed and picked over)
1 15-ounce can each:  black beans and pinto beans (drained and well rinsed) 

Stir well, taste and adjust seasonings.  Turn crock-pot to low and cook 6-8 hours or on high for 4-5 hours.  Serve hot with tortilla chips and grated cheese.



two-dog kitchen and around the 'hood

                    please help

Hurricane Sandy Relief:  Donate to Food Bank for NYC   ...  right after you vote!


On the back porch:  still ripening cherry tomatoes Dave picked 3 weeks ago.

African chard from Wendy's garden.  I'm eating this in my egg-white omelets.



Basil growing in the south DR window.



My eastern garden smoke bush.


Burning Bush--great fall color

More of Wendy's sage--picked last week and in water in a glass.

Up close chard. Still eating from the yard in November.  Thanks, God.
Sing a new song,
Alyce

Sorry to be late in posting...I hate leaving my blog sit stale.  Family illness has kept me away.  Things are on the upswing now...

And I'm so glad the election is (hopefully) about to be over.  Please pray for those without homes, heat, and power on the east coast.  Our daughter now has power in New Jersey, but many don't.

6 comments:

  1. What a great election night idea. Like you, I'll be glued to the TV to watch the returns. Hopefully it will all be over tonight and not drag on a la 2000.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Linda: Thanks! I can't wait for it to be over, too! Hope your hub is feeling well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your election day dish sounds easy and tasty. You can't ask for much more than that. I'm glad to hear that things are getting better for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Mireya Thanks....Health is everything!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love chili and this recipe looks really interesting! Never had sausage, lemon juice, lentils, or mustard in chili before (though I do sometimes squirt yellow mustard on my bowl of chili before I eat it, is that weird?). They all sound like great additions. Going to make this one soon! Also my new slow cooker has a metal pot and I can put it on the stove, going to try that out to brown the meat and veggies :)

    PS, I'm making your lemon green beans tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you're here--try that chili soon! FYI: this is my old site; I won't publish here for long and all of my previous posts are at the new site: http://www.moretimeatthetable.com Happy New Year, Cheese!

    ReplyDelete

I can't wait to hear from you!

When you click on "Comment as," you have a choice of google id, etc. If you don't have a google id or a blog, choose ANONYMOUS. When you type your comment, you can sign your name there. Thanks!